Sparkle and Charm

Friday, August 12, 2005

Welcome to my blog about my hand-crafted jewelry

I have been beading for years. I believe it all began when I found a bead store and was immediately in love with all the beauty and variety of beads. The combinations are endless and I couldn't wait to learn the craft. I took a class in wire-wrapping at Beadworks in Harvard Square about six years ago and I've been wire-wrapping ever since. It is a skill that gets better with time.

I use hand selected beads from a variety of stores and I visit bead stores in whatever city I visit. My beads vary in texture, color and style, but I find that in almost every piece of jewelry I design, there is a lot of flash and light. I love Swarvowski crystals and my designs may start with a certain color combination, but I often add a few of these crystals into each piece for shine.

Over the years I have learned to make my jewelry items durable and wearable. I wear my jewelry myself and can now vouch for the fact that each piece is sturdy and does not fall apart. Nothing I have made in the past four years has fallen apart--something I couldnt say in the beginning.

I am now making crocheted wire necklaces, which start with 24 gauge silver or gold wire and the beads are crocheted in as I go. I can make these necklaces with only one or two strands, but usually I like to make them magnificent and lush with at least four strands. Sometimes these necklaces have a center stone, and some do not. Some are made with the tiniest seed beads to add that extra touch of glitter. These crocheted wire necklaces are full of pretty beads scattered through each piece. They are delicate and need to be handled with care. I pack mine in the a jewelry box with tissue paper between each one so they don't get entangled. The clasps are made by wrapping all the wires together into a loop and attaching a matching hook clasp. They are easy to get on and easy to take off.

I am attaching pictures of the things I have made recently and will include more as we go along.

Thanks for looking at the jewelry that I make and love.

Yvonne Shea